MajicRank

Written by David Frampton @ 4:16 am, April 12, 2009

Update: MajicRank 1.3 has been released, and now has it’s own product page.

MajicRank is a free application for Mac OS X (10.5+) designed to give iPhone App Developers an easy way to see how popular their applications are around the world.

It automatically downloads top 100 statistics for any iPhone app, for any categories or game sub categories, for most regions from iTunes, and displays the results in a colored table. Note that though the screenshot only shows 8 regions, the rest can be added in the preferences menu.

MajicRank 1.2 can be downloaded from http://majicjungle.com/MajicRank.zip (0.5MB)

Screenshot:

MajicRank Screenshot

It is likely that at some point Apple will change their formats and the scrapping algorithms will fail. So it’s also likely that at some point this app will crash or give false results or have some other problem. However I will try to keep it working, and please let me know of any bugs you find.

I’m @majicDave on twitter, or you can email me: developer@majicjungle.com

Usage

Press the ‘+’ button to add your app, edit the name by double clicking on it. The name must match exactly the name that is currently called in iTunes. Select the categories that your app falls under.

Every time you refresh or restart the app, MajicRank will attempt to download every category that is selected from every region. Sometimes a download may fail, and a yellow exclamation mark represents this.

The more categories you add, the slower the load time will be. 10 apps all set to Games/Action should be as quick to load as 1 app set to Games/Action, but 10 apps each with uniquely different categories will be 10x slower to load than 1 app.

Every time you make a change to the apps list or an app’s categories the changes are saved automatically and will load on relaunch of the app. If you come across a crash on launch, or want to get rid of your saved configurations for any reason, remove ~/Library/Application Support/MajicRank/appsModel.plist

By default MajicRank will only download the ‘Big Eight’, the eight largest (arbitrarily decided by me) regions. This can be changed in the preferences.

Archiving

There is a preference for Archiving the results (disabled by default). If you enable this preference, every time you do a search, a potentially quite large (200KB-4MB+) file will be saved in ~/Library/Application Support/MajicRank/. This is a gzipped Keyed Archive of an NSDictionary of all all apps in all of the top 100s that have been downloaded. Currently this file is not used by MajicRank, but if you do want to start keeping a history now it may come in useful later.

Future

I would like to add change tracking. A simple trend indication should come soon, but graphs would be better. It depends how high the demand is, and how much I feel like procrastinating work on Chopper 2!

12 Comments

1. Hendrik

Brilliant. Thanks for creating and sharing this. Much better than my script.
    Change tracking would be lovely.
    How about ordering the ‘top 8′ by their size? So US > UK > France > .. or something like that.

Comment by Hendrik — April 24, 2009 @ 8:20 am

2. Georg

Thanks a lot, that is a great programm!
    Looking forward for the graphs in the next version!

Comment by Georg — April 28, 2009 @ 9:20 am

3. Jon

I cant seem to get it to work?
    I’ve even put in Chopper as the app name and still I get nothing.

BTW I have bought chopper ;)

Comment by Jon — April 29, 2009 @ 8:48 pm

4. David Frampton

I’m not sure what could be causing that, is iTunes working where you are? The only advice I can give really is to make sure the app name exactly matches what the app is called in iTunes. It’s case sensitive and white space/punctuation all need to match.

Comment by David Frampton — April 29, 2009 @ 11:15 pm

5. openGLisLife

This app is awesome! Thanks

Comment by openGLisLife — May 6, 2009 @ 7:33 pm

6. TSH

Hi David,

Great tool thanks for sharing.

Comment by TSH — May 11, 2009 @ 6:58 am

7. Egor

Is there any chance there will be a windows version?

Comment by Egor — May 13, 2009 @ 4:26 pm

8. David Frampton

Unfortunately not. This is all pure cocoa/objective C and I have no desire to re-write it for other platforms.

Comment by David Frampton — May 13, 2009 @ 10:32 pm

9. Trevor

I don’t understand the point of this app. It would seem it’s only useful to the 100 or so developers who have an app in the top 100 list. What about the thousands of developers who are not that lucky?

Comment by Trevor — May 16, 2009 @ 2:31 am

10. David Frampton

Due to the many different top 100s in different categories and regions, it is actually tracking thousands of apps. If Apple made data available for more than just those top 100s I’d love to add it, but somehow I just can’t see that happening.

Even better would be if Apple provided all this information in iTunes Connect, making MajicRank completely unnecessary!

Comment by David Frampton — May 16, 2009 @ 2:41 am

11. Egor

Feature request: add more countries.

This one is a great tool, but does not extract the data for all the countries that have AppStore.
    For example I see one of our Apps in top overall chart in Hungary and the other in top 100 in teh category in Russia using iTunes. Went to check manually because I’ve seen reviews in corresponding languages. I assume there will also be positions in more countries, but it’s almost impossible to check them all manually.

Comment by Egor — May 18, 2009 @ 12:04 pm

12. Chris Johnson

This is a great tool, thanks for making it available.
    Is it possible to export the data so I can do magic with it in other applications?

Comment by Chris Johnson — May 21, 2009 @ 5:10 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.